Sunday, January 11, 2015

Sunday Night Survey: Golden Globes Edition

Instead of reviewing my weekend (which, let's face it, was mostly football, couch time, and eating), I'm going to use this Sunday night to live-view & discuss the Golden Globes. This activity is also known as live-blogging. ! Yes, it's that time of year again. I'll see you all back here at about 7 PM, Central Time. Until then, go Colts!

6:56 pm: Red Carpet & Pre-Show Extras

I hope you're all ready for this! I am. I'm all football happy and just finished eating, so I'm really ready to watch celebrities for the next few hours. I've been sneaking peaks at the red carpet pre-show and I have to say, low cut dresses seem to be in this year. Dresses With Pockets count: 3 (Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, and Emma Stone).

7:00 pm: Amy and Tina's last year as hosts begins...

The best part of that opener was the part where Tina and Amy roasted Hollywood's values by announcing everything Amal Alamuddin-Clooney has done recently...and then reminded us it's George who's getting a lifetime achievement award tonight.

7:12 pm: To be honest I wasn't really paying attention to the first awards.

"Those are the 50 Shades of Gray actors? Wow do I never want to watch them have sex ever." --Jesus, about Dakota Johnson and Jamie Dornan

Did you all see the promo for Sisters earlier? I kind of don't even care what the movie is about...I just want to see it.

7:22 pm: Paying attention now. :)

Yay for Fargo! Not that I've watched, but the movie was awesome.

J. Lo: "I got the nails."
Jeremy Renner: "You got the globes, too."

"Yes, you stand there and you say thank you." --J. Lo, to Billy Bob Thornton

7:32 pm: Free speech, heroes, human rights

I love how willing actors are to do silly things. I love it more when actors are unwilling to stop talking when it's their right to speak.

Nice hustle to the stage, Gina Rodriguez! That was a heartfelt speech, but at the same time a lot of feelings for an acting award.

"To love." --Transparent creator Jill Soloway (PS, I like the suit--while it's not a Dress With Pockets, I'm always a fan of women getting pockets wherever they can.)

7:44 pm: Music

I wonder how many Johann Johannssons are in Johann Johannsson's family line.

How fitting that Prince is presenting this award. John Legend is great, I don't deny it. But if you guys are on Instagram and you aren't following his wife, Chrissy Teigen, you're messing up. She is hilarious.

7:58 pm: Intense eyes, drunk eyes, Big Eyes

Matt Bomer, your eyes are intense.

Ricky Gervais, there's a man after my own heart (both for the wine on the stage and for telling us how it really is...famous people are just better than us ordinaries).

"To say that I am ill-prepared for this moment is a huge understatement..." --Amy Adams. To say that sentence without stuttering just proves to all of us at home that you were very prepared to say at least that.

8:12 pm: Animation and Boyhood

Animated Film: what a solid category. How to Train Your Dragon 2 is the only one I haven't and also don't want to see, so that's a little disappointing.

I think Patricia Arquette deserved that award for the basic fact that Boyhood took 12 years to film. That's a lot of time to stay committed to a project.

8:25 pm: Comedy and funny ladies (and men too I guess)

Finally, Tina and Amy are back. And Kristen and Bill!

Best Screenplay: Birdman and all the hard names to pronounce.

I loved Jeffrey Tambor in Arrested Development. Maybe I should check out Transparent. I also think it's cool that this award (Best Actor in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy) went to a man who plays a transgender woman. So yes, we have come pretty far.

8:43 pm: All about the ladies

"They're really pushing the whole 'Women are great' thing this year, aren't they?" --Jesus (not without reason!)

8:52 pm: Awards, awards, awards

With this outfit change, we have one more lady with pockets (Tina Fey again).

I wanted Kevin Spacey to do his whole thank you speech as Frank Underwood. Alas, I'll have to wait until Season 3 to get my F.U. fix.

9:06 pm: George Clooney

George Clooney, everyone.

9:21 pm: Are the commercials getting longer and longer or is it just me?

Chris Pratt and Anna Farris are my favorite Hollywood power couple, followed by John Krasinski and Emily Blunt.

9:32 pm: Keaton and Winfrey

"There are always so many people to thank" --Michael Keaton

9:43 pm: Foxcatcher and Budapest

I don't think Steve Carrell has smiled all night.

I have seen exactly zero of the nominees for Best Picture, Comedy or Musical. My movie game has tanked recently.

9:50 pm: Best Actor 

Oh really, we're running long? I hadn't noticed. You'd think after 72 years the powers that be would have awards shows figured out. Making an easier way for winners to get to the stage might help.

10:00 pm: Home Stretch!

I've also not seen any of the nominees for Best Picture, Drama. But I guessed Boyhood would win.

Show over! Goodbye Amy and Tina. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment