Thursday, November 20, 2014

On Bloggers Who Stop Blogging

When I think about this space, I don't think about how it will end. Mostly because I have no reason to stop, so I can't think about it ending. While I don't know how it will evolve, I know it will be out there in the world (or on the internet), existing as evidence of my life since 2009.

But some bloggers stop. Maybe just for a few months, maybe for a year or two, sometimes "until further notice." Why? What happens in their lives that makes them stop? To be clear, I'm not talking about temporary blogs (ie, study abroad blogs that are only meant to show a certain period of time...more on this a few paragraphs down) and I'm also not talking about starts and fits blogs (ie, blogs updated inconsistently where each time might be the last). I'm talking about established (also, many times profitable) blogs/bloggers who stop--and announce it.

I know of three who stopped this year: Young House Love (a couple who DIY's through their house(s)), Annapolis & Company (creative space turned photography business), and Pink Ronnie (a little bit of everything). Their final posts touch on reasons why they've stopped, and really it's not like they are disappearing from the online world altogether. They all have other projects, different business ventures, and new URLs to be found at. It's not the bloggers who are stopping, it's those specific blogs.

As The Romans Do, as a blog, should have stopped in May of 2009. That's when I got home from Rome. No one would have wondered where I went or why I stopped writing, and the Rome chapter of my life would have had a solid ending. Instead, I kept right on going (with a few short breaks here and there) and allowed this space to adapt to whatever was happening in my life at the moment. While I may not always want to post daily, something has kept me writing here for five years--moving to new cities, traveling, documenting my daily life, poetry challenges--and unless my furniture-rearranging/collage-making business takes off in the near future, I don't foresee a different project taking its place.

That means I'll see you back here tomorrow, and the next nine days, and then some more days after that. :)

1 comment:

  1. Hey there, I found you via the NaBloPoMo blogroll.

    I stopped for a while, mostly because I was working a lot and time just wasn't available. But now I'm back and loving it. Sometimes people just want to do something else. I can't see myself ever shutting my blog or removing it from the internet. Not while I have fingers to type and thoughts to share, anyway. :)

    As part of NaBloPoMo I try to comment on as many participating blogs as I can, and I am also adding participating blogs to my feed reader. So I’m just dropping by to let you know I’ve added your blog to my feedreader, whenever you publish a post I will see it. :)

    I have created three bundles on Inoreader so that bloggers can easily visit other participating NaBloPoMo bloggers which you can find here -

    http://www.snoskred.org/2014/11/nablopomo-bundles-final-edition.html

    Your blog is in the second bundle.. I also have a link up going at my place so my readers can find participating blogs which you are more than welcome to add your blog link to.

    Looking forward to seeing your posts. You may see me drop by again during November, but it might be December before I finish my first drop by to blogs if I don't get faster at leaving comments. :)

    Happy NaBloPoMo to you!
    Snoskred
    http://www.snoskred.org

    ReplyDelete