Monday, November 3, 2014

Breaded Acorn Squash

I did the sweet. I did the savory. Now let's try the slightly more labor intensive but still really tasty. Acorn squash is both versatile and simple, so I like to test out new recipes using it, knowing you really can't go wrong. These breaded rounds are as easy as egg, bread, bake.

I used this recipe as a basic guideline. My version below:

1 acorn squash, sliced into rounds (or quarters or chunks or whatever is easiest)
1/4 tsp salt (and a little more if you love salt, like me)
1/4 tsp pepper
chili powder, nutmeg, and cumin to taste (hearty shakes of all three)
1/4 c-ish cornmeal
1/2 c panko breadcrumbs
1 egg, beaten

Preheat oven to 425.
Spray the grill part of a broiler pan with non-stick spray and place over the base.
Slice and peel acorn squash--peeling is optional. I peeled a few rounds, but left the rest on because they do come off really easily once the squash is baked.
In one bowl, lightly beat egg.
In another bowl, combine cornmeal, breadcrumbs, and spices until well mixed.
Coat each round first in the egg, then in the dry mixture, pressing it on to coat it completely.
Place on broiler pan.
Bake for 20 minutes, flip, then bake for about 15 minutes longer. Coating should be golden brown and squash should come away from the skin easily.
These are good right out of the oven, but they also reheat well.
Things I might try next time: more spices! It's hard to test how these are going to taste, but I ended up sprinkling more salt on after they were cooked. Also: cheese! I think adding grated Parmesan to the dry mixture would take these guys to the next level.

No comments:

Post a Comment