Saturday, August 23, 2014

The Quality of Life Report

My rating: 3 of 5 stars
I liked this book the way you might like a directionless stroll around your neighborhood. It was nice enough, but in the end more of a leisurely exercise than a journey to a specific destination.

I found the protagonist, Lucinda, slightly off--she seemed like a construct, not an actual person--and the name "Lucinda" didn't help with that. The descriptions of New Yorkers vs Prairie Cityites was relatable to me as a person who grew up in a rural area and moved to a city, but they were still flat overall. And why are all the New Yorkers surprised to find lesbians in the Midwest? If there's one thing the Midwest has in abundance, it's lesbians.

Having previously read Daum's memoir, Life Would Be Perfect If I Lived in That House, I could see bits of her in this story, but I prefer the nonfiction version over the story of Lucinda Trout's many bad decisions and strange crush on Sam Shepard.


No comments:

Post a Comment