Saturday, August 2, 2014

Hyperbole and a Half

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That HappenedHyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

I expected a lot more from this blog-turned-memoir, and not just because I enjoy Brosh's actual blog and want a fellow female blogger to succeed. I also heard positive reviews from several people whose opinions I respect (comedians and writers, duh), so I was disappointed to find myself doing more flipping pages/skimming than actual reading.

My theory is, not all blogs are meant to also be books. Blogging is a unique medium, and things written for blogs don't necessarily translate into long form reading--novels, memoirs, self-help, etc.

It also might be that I really don't like dogs, and for some reason Brosh added a lot of dog chapters to her work. I missed the ruminations on grammar and writing, things that seem like perfect fodder for a book.

I'd like to see how Brosh tackles a book made of fresh material written specifically for publication (be it another memoir/collection of essays or something completely different) as opposed to a collection of recycled blog posts and random fillers. There's no denying she has talent and knows how to write!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment