Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Parasol Protectorate

I recently finished a book series that I started well over a year ago--that's a while by my reading standards. The Parasol Protectorate is made up of five books: Soulless, Changeless, Blameless, Heartless, and Timeless. While I applaud the cleverness of the titles, sometimes it was hard to keep them straight. I also took lots of breaks between books, not because I wasn't interested (I was), but because there are so many (other) books to read!

This series is of the steampunk/sci-fi/romance/vampires & werewolves genre...aka, unlike anything I've read before, yet relatable to a lot of what I've read before. Each book follows Alexia Tarabotti, a woman who literally has no soul, as she navigates English society and the supernatural happenings around her. My favorite books were the first and the last--Soulless could stand on its own, and I thought Timeless wrapped Alexia's story up nicely. The middle three books were still good, but I got confused with the details at times.

All in all, this series was worth the time it took me to finally get through it...and it's a way better love story (stories...even minor characters get to grow and develop) than Twilight.

No comments:

Post a Comment