Saturday, January 10, 2015

The Host

The Host (The Host, #1)The Host by Stephenie Meyer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sum it up in a sentence (or two): Alien parasites control humans (and Earth); a small population of alien-free humans tries to survive. Melanie Stryder, stubborn human, messes up the status quo.

First thoughts while reading: I'm interested in the story (plot), but WHY must the protagonist be 17 when she meets her man? In a book for adults (like the jacket cover specifically states that), could we maybe get an adult relationship featuring adults? I get that in the present action of the story she's in her twenties, but what is it with Stephenie Meyer and minors/older dudes?

More thoughts/questions for the author while reading: What is with Stephenie Meyer and men holding women while running? As the story goes on I can get past the age difference (especially when Melanie is actually Wanderer, but then we have a whole other age dynamic happening).

The Host reminds me of:
Divergent
the Hunger Games series
the Ender series

Things I would change: besides character ages, a lot of the fluffy dialogue could be cut from this to make it a tighter story. Things like the random soccer game felt forced and dragged on when there were more important things happening.

Recommended for: my boyfriend (a big reason this book gets four stars, besides that I just plain enjoyed the story, is that I'm making Jesus read it), fans of other books set in post-apocalyptic utopias/dystopias, scientists, aliens.

Final thoughts: a good/hopeful ending. I'm glad it didn't feel contrived. I would watch the movie.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment