Tuesday, December 31, 2019

2019 By the Books

Books Read: 220

Shortest "Book": "300 Fox Way Holiday Piece" by Maggie Stiefvater (it's an online story, only 2 pages)

Longest Book: Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World 2019 by Bob Sehlinger (832 pages)

Average Rating: 4 stars

Most Popular (according to Goodreads): The Glass Castle: A Memoir by Jeannette Walls (read by 856,569 other people)

Highest Rated (by Goodreads): Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol 27 by Hiromu Arakawa (4.71/5 average)

Re-reads: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling, Jim Dale, and Jim Kay (the illustrated/audio versions)

DNFs: I Did Not Finish about 10%, or 23 books in 2019.

Fiction vs Nonfiction: 76% fiction, 24% nonfiction

Author Gender: 72% women, 28% men, 0% nonbinary

Format: 55% print, 34% audio, 11% digital

Audience: 57% YA, 31% adult, 12% children

Source: 90% library books and the remaining 10% was split between purchased books, gifts, and advanced reading copies

Authors of Color: 34% of the books I read were written by authors of color

Queer Authors: 10% of the books I read were written by LGBTQIAP+ authors

Translations: 15% of the books I read were translated from a language other than English

Most Popular Authors: Becky Chambers, Leigh Bardugo, Cressida Cowell, and Hiromu Arakawa

Biggest Surprise: two mermaid horror stories that kept me up way past my bedtime and allowed mermaids to be beautiful and terrifying at the same time.

Biggest Letdown: a retelling of The Little Mermaid that fell into all the YA stereotype traps while also being plain old not well written.

Goal For 2020: If I read anything in 2020, I'll be happy. (I have zero idea of what to expect for personal time during the twins' first year!) Goodreads is easy enough to update, so I'm not too worried about tracking my reading (which I truly appreciate at the end of the year). The amount of time I usually spend reading and writing reviews, looking over booklists, and curating titles will be severely limited, but I hope I can at least continue the actual reading of books!

Extras: 2018 By the Books, 2017 By the Books, 2016 By the Books

No comments:

Post a Comment