Wednesday, November 5, 2014

NaBloPoMo

Since I made it to Day Five, I'm going to make this public: I'm participating in NaBloPoMo (National Blog Posting Month). You may have heard of its larger/more popular cousin, NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), which I aspire to/have thought about, but I'm not trying to write a novel in thirty days right now. Instead, I plan on blogging for thirty days. I've done monthly challenges before, but always with a theme. This time I'm following my curiosities and posting regular content daily.

I'm doing this because:
I love this blog. It's my baby (my almost 6-yr old baby).
I love having this online journal/scrapbook/reference for my life. Just this past weekend I used my blog to look up the repair video I used to fix my washing machine last year, and I frequently check it to see when I watched a movie/read a book or what I did for certain holidays. While I could also document these things in a personal journal (which I do), the truth is it's just easier to search for things online.
Beyond loving it for myself, this blog is my resume and portfolio. Want to see what I've done for the past six years? It's all here. Need a few writing samples? Help yourself!
My writing improves when I stretch myself. I've written some neat poems during April. I've published original stories and nonfiction posts thanks to outside prompts.
Having an audience holds me accountable and keeps me honest. I would do this just for myself, but knowing this is all public adds another layer to my writing and makes me think about what I write/post--my personal journal is unfiltered/unedited.
I might learn a thing or two about a thing or two. Who knows? I might make it to November 30th with just writing fatigue and a few strange posts, but I'm pretty sure I'll also come away with a sense of accomplishment.

As always, thanks for reading & come back soon! (Like tomorrow, when I post again.)

NaBloPoMo November 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment