Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Returning to Dust

I'm not quite sure how to put this year's Ash Wednesday thoughts into words. Right now my brain is foggy (from not enough and too much sleep, from negative temperatures, from all the running around it does daily and nightly), so I'm mostly thinking in images and phrases. (One of the images might be a glass of wine.) Anyways, here goes:

At the risk of making Lent (a season for giving up self-centered actions) all about me, I'm doing some introspective meditation in the next 46 days. Self-reflection is something I do often, but it never hurts to make it intentional. It also doesn't hurt to have a guide, which is why I plan on using She Reads Truth to focus my devotional energies. Today's reading and accompanying article couldn't have hit closer to feelings I've had during this time of quiet and solitude that is Lent (and the slow/gray trudging along of winter).

I'm also feeling the sentiments in this piece, which basically reminds me I'm not and won't ever be the most successful or most popular person in the world, but that's okay. Good even. Because I, Rachel, am not defined by my successes, or how well-liked I am, or my possessions. I am defined by myself: I am a human, worthy of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment