Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Perspective, Selective

Tell me if you’re game
to watch a sea of foam and dirt
turn into a city park:
wildflowers next to
steel towers surrounded by
tourists, students, and impatient drivers.
Tell me if you’re game
to lift your head and marvel
at the man-made:
buildings standing big shoulder
to big shoulder
the inspired and inspiring,
Or would you rather
sneak a peek from up above?
Glance over rooftops studded with
concrete and brick chimneys,
across the tree-filled parks,
over to the green-blue lake,
the one you know is much colder
than any photo will suggest.
There you might find what
you’re really game for:
a horizon
barely curving
waiting to give birth to the sun.


---
Lucky you, it's a poem and photos! I figured since the speakeasy has a photo prompt this week, why not add some of my own? At the same time I made up for missing a few poems back in April. I told you photography would inspire me.

14 comments:

  1. *enthusiastic applause*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem (and photos as well.) I think I'm game for the horizon unspoiled by our man-made creations (and I could do without the impatient drivers, too!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, the unspoiled horizon. It's rare, but welcome around here too! Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Well, it's not a 'Wordsworth' horizon...I wonder how he would have described it had it been his view? Enjoyed all the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this was great. and seriously, i envisioned what's depicted in your photos before i even saw the photos! (i'm a Chicagoan so it wasn't too hard to envision)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked this alot. I like how you can see past the skyscrapers and the crowds to see the beauty in it's midst. Excellent imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the skyscrapers, but sometimes I need a break from them!

      Delete
  6. Fantastic poem, Rachel! Wonderful imagery – and gorgeous photos too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Glad you enjoyed both words and images.

      Delete
  7. Super, Ima voting for you. I love a good poem with a message.

    ReplyDelete