Saturday, May 10, 2014

Hey Nostradamus!

Hey Nostradamus!Hey Nostradamus! by Douglas Coupland
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I genuinely enjoyed Hey Nostradamus!. I'm always game for a story told by different characters; add to that the time differences of each telling, and you've got a fan. I did have early hesitations about the subject matter; I wasn't sure if I wanted to read anything related to school shootings--we get enough of that in reality--but this story quickly moved into other territory. (Again, the varied narrators and moments in history helped.)

This isn't my first time at the Coupland rodeo, so I anticipated--and welcomed--many of the novel's themes (loneliness, prayer, and grief are prime examples). I've said it before: I like when an author (or an artist, or a musician, or an architect) riffs on previous works. We all have an essential story to tell, and Hey Nostradamus! is one small piece of Coupland's tale. Not a happy piece, but not one without hope either.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment