Monday, May 12, 2014

Black Bean Brownies & Chocolate Oatmeal Clusters


Oof, that title is a mouthful...and so are these two desserts I tried over the weekend for Mother's Day. The first is a cookie-like dessert, but without the butter and flour. I adapted it from Kalyn's Kitchen (the fudgy version). The other is a brownie, one of my favorite desserts when I'm in a chocolate mood (which I clearly was this weekend). I found the recipe at Chocolate Covered Katie, and I'm very excited to announce that they also have zero butter or flour. What they do have is an entire can of black beans. Really!

Chocolate Oatmeal Clusters

1 c rolled oats
1/2 c sugar (original recipe calls for Splenda or Stevia-in-the-Raw)
4 tbsp cocoa powder
pinch salt
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 c olive oil
2 egg whites, beaten 

Combine dry ingredients in a medium bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together wet ingredients. Combine, stirring together until completely mixed. Chill in refrigerator for several hours. When ready to bake, preheat oven to 350. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spoon small balls of batter onto the paper, spaced evenly. Press down slightly with a fork (they don't spread very much). Bake twelve minutes, or until cookies are firm.

These aren't too sweet and are really easy to make, as long as you give yourself time to let the batter chill. They were a big hit at Jesus's family's house--they went so fast  I didn't even get a picture!

Black Bean Brownies

1 1/2 c black beans (one 15-oz can)
2 tbsp cocoa powder
1/2 c rolled oats (recipe calls for quick-cook, but I have rolled here, so that's what I used)
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 c maple syrup or agave nectar or honey (I used agave)
2 tbsp sugar (original recipe includes Stevia option or upping the liquid sweetener amount)
1/4 c oil (I used olive oil)
2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c chocolate chips (optional, or sub cocoa nibs)

Preheat oven to 350. Combine all ingredients except chocolate chips in a food processor or blender (I only have a blender) and blend until completely smooth. Like super duper smooth--you won't taste the beans, but you don't want any solid beans hanging around! Stir in the chips, then pour into a greased 8x8 pan. Bake 15-18 minutes. Cool before cutting.

I'm a big fan of these guys, pictured above. They are more fudgy than cakey, which I like. I want to add some caramel or peanut butter to my next batch (there will be a next batch).

No comments:

Post a Comment