Saturday, July 18, 2015

This Book Is Overdue!

This Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us AllThis Book Is Overdue!: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All by Marilyn Johnson
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sum it up in a sentence (or two): I think the subtitle says a lot: "How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All," but this was also very broad look at all the services a library provides and the ways they've been challenged in the Age of Technology.

First Thoughts: This was less a riveting read about the future of libraries than an interesting reference book and history of library technology and advancements. I found certain chapters more entertaining than others, and I'm sure librarians themselves would also have favorite sections. The non-librarian/non-bibliophile would probably pass on this book.

Future Plans: I may or may not have decided to read this book based on my childhood dream of becoming a librarian. Recently I've thought about the possibility once again, and this book made the job seem more real.

Favorite Quote: "Good librarians are natural intelligence operatives. They possess all of the skills and characteristics required for that work: curiosity, wide-ranging knowledge, good memories, organizational and analytical aptitude, and discretion." -p6 (It's my favorite quote because, helloooo, that describes me.)

Final Thoughts: Some sections got a little too technical even for this bibliophile. While I was marginally interested in the topics of every chapter, I wasn't as interested as the depth of each chapter warranted. I still love libraries/librarians!


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment