Sunday, July 26, 2015

Let's Explore Diabetes With Owls

Let's Explore Diabetes with OwlsLet's Explore Diabetes with Owls by David Sedaris
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Sum it up in a sentence (or two): If you've read David Sedaris, you know the drill: short stories on topics ranging from body issues to relationships to childhood trauma.

First thoughts: My first first thought (every time I went to read) was "Did someone spray cologne on this book?" It seriously smelled like walking into a Hollister. My other first thought was that the stories were hit and miss. I know I'm comparing LEDWO to Sedaris's other books, but this one was a little disappointing.

Favorite quotes:
"Their house had read hard cover books in it, and you often saw them lying open on the sofa, the words still warm from being read." -p60, "Loggerheads"

"It's not lost on me that I'm so busy recording life, I don't have time to really live it....Even if what I'm recording is of no consequence, I've got to put it down on paper." -p233, "Day In, Day Out"

Final thoughts: Though there were a few stand out stories and lines that made me chuckle, overall I felt meh.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment