Saturday, December 6, 2014

Where'd You Go, Bernadette

Where'd You Go, BernadetteWhere'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

First thoughts: I loved the format of emails/letters/Bee's thoughts in the beginning part of the book. It made for a quick read. There were several WTF moments throughout this strange, yet fun, tale.

More thoughts on Bee's thoughts: she seems precocious, even for a fifteen year old. I also had a hard time believing how well-adjusted she is during some major upheavals in her life. She goes from annoying to endearing and back again within pages.

Favorite character: Manjula (for the first half of the book). I related to her job of answering emails and doing Bernadette's every bidding.

Overall character thoughts: While I enjoyed each of the characters, none of them were truly real. I'm not sure that they're supposed to be, though, so this is just a thought and not a critique, per se.

Where I read: in marathon spurts before bed. (The book was too heavy to carry with me like I usually do.)

Recommended for: "found" story fans, travelers, architects, nerds, geeks, drama queens, people who complain about the cold.

Final thoughts: I liked this book. Just liked. I'm interested to see what's next for Semple.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment