Saturday, December 13, 2014

The Interestings

The InterestingsThe Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

First thoughts: Man, I just love Meg Wolitzer. I think if this was the first book I'd read of hers, I'd be a little hesitant to like it as much as I do, but her characters are just awesome. And they're always so different. Where does she have space for all these personalities inside her head?

Where/when I read: Thanksgiving break.

Favorite quotes:
"Despite my wisdom by now, I am small-minded and predictable." -Jules

"I know I still cause harm, probably a ton of it no matter what I do. And it kills me, it just kills me, that maybe the best you can ever do is cause less harm." -Ethan

"This is love, even if it doesn't feel like it." -Jules

Favorite characters:
Jonah Bay-I relate to him somehow. Despite the fact that he's a brilliant gay man, the son of a folk singer, and a genius in robotics.
Jules & Dennis's relationship-feels very natural.
Jules & Ethan's relationship-also feels natural, but it shouldn't, so that's kind of magical.
Ethan Figman-a saint, but also flawed, but mostly sensitive and introspective and caring.

Recommended for: character lovers, confused people, people with flaws, artists, dreamers, readers, vacation-goers, homebodies, and doodlers.

Final thoughts: Wolitzer not only knows how to write stories, she knows how to end them. I don't have a lot else to say because I mostly let myself get caught up in the story while reading. It was a great experience.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment