Tuesday, January 8, 2013

I Took a Walk

You know what puts things in perspective? A nice, long walk. It was (relatively) warm here today, and I decided to take advantage of that after work. I walked the several miles from work to my apartment. It only took about 45 minutes, so 15 minutes more than CTA or 30 minutes more than biking or driving.

I have such a weird relationship with time (I prefer free time in large chunks, but need to break work/chore time into smaller chunks, even mentally. I also tend to need more of it than most people for things like transitions, even just the transition between work and home.), so it was beneficial to find out that by walking home, I didn't feel cheated out of my own time, as I sometimes do while waiting for/riding the bus. All I had was my own time, and all I could do with it was take it step by step. Being alone while surrounded by traffic let me ponder without going too deep, and by the time I got home I felt unwound from the workday.

While I most likely won't walk home that often, it's nice to know a brisk walk is an option, and a rather pleasant one at that--provided it's not raining, snowing, below freezing, or insanely hot outside...so maybe for 2 or 3 weeks out of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment