Tuesday, March 22, 2016

10 Cloverfield Lane

I saw 10 Cloverfield Lane in theaters just over a week ago, and I still find myself thinking about it - it's almost haunting. There's not a lot I can say to describe the movie itself without giving too much away, and I really think the power in this distant cousin to Cloverfield is its mystery. It was developed and filmed under several pseudonyms, with the first trailer for it appearing just two months before its full release.

Being kept in the shadows is a major theme of 10CL, both in a literal and metaphorical sense. Throughout the movie we're never quite sure who is trustworthy, who holds the power, and what will happen next. We know there was a car accident, we know there are three people in a bunker, and we think there might be something happening out in the world, but we only have guesses as to what it is.

10CL hits hard with the creep factor, and all three principal actors are spot on for their roles. I loved the soundtrack, the simmering suspense, and how the story kept me thinking the whole way through (and then some).

No comments:

Post a Comment