Thursday, July 21, 2016

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Me: Would you say we are in one boat, rowing together, or in two boats, rowing in the same direction?
Jesus: Two boats. Definitely two.
Me: Why do you say that? I mean, I agree, but why do you think that?
Jesus: First of all, you're trying to have this conversation while I'm playing a video game.
Me: ...And second?
Jesus: Second what? What were we talking about?
---

When I first read this post, I was grateful for its honesty. No two relationships are the same and that's okay. I've struggled (in my current and past relationships) to be comfortable with that truth. In the past 4.5 years of dating Jesus, I've tried to both climb into his boat or pull him over to mine. I've also assumed we were in the same boat, which meant I was rowing on "my" side, thinking he was rowing on his, and instead, I was rowing myself in circles while he patiently waited for me to look up and notice what I was doing.

It's taken time and the experience that comes with time to realize that it's best if Jesus and I stay in our own boats, so we don't end up in the water. That's not to say we don't rock our respective boats, or find a third boat to hang out in for an afternoon, or any other iterations of this boat metaphor, but our default is individual boats, floating along the river of life together.
Or wading in the ocean, whatever this metaphor is.

No comments:

Post a Comment