Saturday, December 8, 2018

My Favorite Children's Fiction of 2018

I mentioned in my bookish survey last week that children's fiction has impressed me this year. I've read several 2018 titles (written for 8 to 12-year old readers specifically) that I wouldn't hesitate to also recommend to teens or adults. Whether because of the intricate world-building, authentic character portrayals, meaningful plots, or a combination of these aspects, these four titles stuck with me long after I finished reading.

Snow LaneSnow Lane by Josie Angelini
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

It's 1985 and 10-year old Annie is the youngest of 9 kids in a Catholic family living in a small town. This might not be enough description for some people to want to read Snow Lane, but that's all I needed. I saw my family and friends' families reflected in so much of Annie's life - the fun and joy of being part of a big family and the difficulties and ugly parts. Angelini doesn't glamorize big family life: she includes all the details of forgotten birthdays, older kids stepping in as parent figures, and the struggles of affording clothes and food for 11 people. Her depiction of young Catholic guilt (saying Hail Marys after "cursing" - aka "shit" or "crap") is spot on.

It's clear from several Goodreads reviews that some people don't feel these topics are appropriate for young readers, but for those young readers who are living this life, Angelini brings a sense of being seen and understood. Covering up painful childhoods doesn't make the reality of them go away. All readers deserve to see themselves in books. All readers deserve to see a diversity of experiences in books.

The Turnaway GirlsThe Turnaway Girls by Hayley Chewins
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

What a gorgeous cover! And the inside of this book is similarly gorgeous - I was right there with Delphernia Undersea, wanting to sing. I initially picked this book up hoping it would be a reverse Little Mermaid, and it kind of is? Delphernia wants to sing, and she finds her voice and family with/through the sea.

A few quotes to show the beautiful language:

"She knew the sea would take her if she sang. She made a sound anyway."

"People will use any words they can find to convince themselves that their cruelties are useful."

"Even if the sea doesn't drag singing girls into its waters, men armed with silence can do their part to ensure that they taste salt."

Dear SisterDear Sister by Alison McGhee
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Written as letters/notes/drawings passed between a reluctant older brother and his adoring (and adorable) younger sister, this story chronicles the ups and downs of sibling relationships. It begins with the brother halfheartedly welcoming his sister to the family, and through illustrations readers see the subtext of a few of his less-than-loving letters. Younger sisters get away with a lot sometimes! By the end of this epistolary graphic novel, readers see how the siblings' relationship has developed and only those with ice for hearts won't feel emotional at the last image.

The House with Chicken LegsThe House with Chicken Legs by Sophie   Anderson
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Marinka is being raised by her grandmother and their house. Her grandmother is a Yaga - a spiritual guide for the dead traveling to the afterlife - and their house has chicken legs, which it uses to move them to new locations so that Marinka and her grandmother never become too familiar to locals. Marinka is meant to become a Yaga someday, but she would rather have friends who are alive.

This book reminded me of Disney's Coco - it has the same themes of choosing your own path, despite what people/family say is your "destiny" along with heavily focusing on the afterlife and how we remember and honor the dead. It's also a great example of frenemies, or people who are only your friends if you look/act a certain way (a way that isn't authentic to you). I found the world-building to be rich, and I understood Marinka's motivations to go her own way as much as I feared for her safety while doing so.


Extras: Middle Grades Graphics, Spooky Children's Books, or view all my reviews.

No comments:

Post a Comment