Saturday, July 30, 2016

Stories: All-New Tales

Stories: All-New TalesStories: All-New Tales by Neil Gaiman
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A collection of short stories filled with magic realism, edited by Neil Gaiman and Al Sarrantonio.

First thoughts: Whew! I finally committed to finishing this collection instead of dipping into it whenever I was between books. It's hard reading books you own when the library keeps sending others your way. This is definitely a collection I'll be keeping on my bookshelf for rereads and future bedtime stories.

Favorite quotes:

"We wanted to read stories that used a lightning flash of magic as a way of showing us something we have already seen a thousand times as if we have never seen it before." -Gaiman, p1

"The joy of fiction, for some of us, is the joy of the imagination, set free from the world..." -Gaiman, p3

Favorite stories: "Catch and Release" is just the right amount of creepy. "Weights and Measures" is sad and tender. "Unwell" is both silly and strange. "A Life in Fictions" reminds me of Ruby Sparks. "The Therapist" gave me more creeps. "Human Intelligences" gives us a different telling of Santa Claus.

Recommended for: If you're into short stories with strange and mind-stretching plots, this collection is for you. It's perfect for group read alouds and solo reading.

Final thoughts: I mean, Neil Gaiman folks.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment