Monday, July 18, 2016

As the Colby Dudes Do

What do you do when you find yourself in rural central Wisconsin? Well, if you're lucky enough to be there during any number of annual festivals, you make the most of it! The festival I'm talking about in particular is Colby Cheese Days. I haven't been in probably 8 or 9 years (I know I was under 21 the last time I was there), so I was excited to reminisce while also checking out all the things that had changed. Here are some of the highlights:

Food Stands: Here's the rundown on food - skip the stuff trucked in with the carnival rides and head straight for the local stands to support all the churches, youth groups, scouts, and other various clubs. You'll enjoy burgers, brats, fries, hot beefs, walking tacos, onion rings, smoothies, milkshakes, and, of course, cheese curds, those deep fried nuggets of golden happiness. And did I mention every food stand also gives out free cheese sticks? Take advantage - those sticks are the real deal and the crown jewel of this weekend.

The Bingo Tent: A dollar will get you three cards, and a little luck will get you a nice little check. I won twice over the weekend, for a grand total of $23.

The Beer Tent: Like I said, I was under 21 at my last Cheese Days, so this year I took advantage of being able to be in the Beer Tent...which isn't even a tent, but more of a pavilion. Whatever, there's beer and plenty of old friends.

The Fun Run for a Cause: It doesn't matter if you're a kid, a passionate marathoner, a weekend warrior, or just a few folks who want to support your community and the people in it, you can do a 5 or 10k. With water breaks and cheerleaders spread out over the course, there's plenty to keep you going. And remember, if the firefighters can do it in all their gear, you can do it in your casual walking shoes.

Book Sale: 1 bag. 4 dollars. Need I say more? (I will - Jesus just doubled his Animorphs collection and I now have a creepily worn in copy of Rosemary's Baby. Win. Win.)

Parade: Even at the end of the route, we got plenty of candy. We also got great views of horses, marching bands, cars, trucks, tractors, and various emergency service vehicles. Dancers danced, old people and little kids waved, and the Shriners performed their intricate scooter routine.

Music: The party was only starting once the parade ended. We enjoyed a 5th Quarter concert by the UW Marching Band, a show choir performance, and musical selections from a band visiting from Switzerland - all on the street right in the middle of the action.

Whew. If you survive all that, congratulations. You hit all the biggies in the carnival world!

No comments:

Post a Comment