Saturday, August 15, 2015

MWF Seeking BFF

MWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search For A New Best FriendMWF Seeking BFF: My Yearlong Search For A New Best Friend by Rachel Bertsche
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sum it up in a Sentence (or two): New-ish Chicago transplant, wife, and author Rachel Bertsche documents the year she spends actively looking for a new best friend.

Wait, Chicago?: Yep, she's in Chicago. And my first few thoughts were of the "can we be friends?" variety. These ebbed as I got deeper into the book and saw what her idea of a fun friend date was (pedicures, yoga, brunch) and where she frequently went out (in neighborhoods no where near me).

Other First Thoughts: I love that Bertsche makes the distinction between Husband and BFF. They aren't the same! I especially appreciate that she is married and still needs that social outlet of a friend who isn't her husband. Her husband is the love of her life, but a best friend is a best friend.

Isn't it Ironic: Me, lover of alone time, relating to such a social book. But since I've read this, and since I've moved in with my boyfriend, I've really seen how important these outside of relationship connections are. I'd even say I see me friends more now that I'm living with Jesus - because my free time isn't spent coordinating with his schedule, I can make more plans with friends.

Friends at Work: Office/work friends are important! I knew it! That's one of the biggest reasons I wanted a job change, and Bertsche affirms my need: employees with a friend at work are seven times more likely to be engaged in their jobs (p 46).

Final thoughts: I got emotional at the end of this book. It was well-written and an interesting concept. I love that things worked out, but didn't always go as planned and weren't always as expected. I'm interested in where Bertsche is now with her friendships.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment