Monday, June 29, 2015

Lemon Blueberry Muffins

I'm the designated dessert maker in my apartment, and in Jesus's family. I wouldn't refer to myself as a baker, but I sort of fell into the role. And since I have a sweet tooth, I guess I'm okay with it. For Mother's Day, I made strawberry cupcakes (using blended strawberries in the batter). They were just okay (meaning I will try again). For Father's Day, though, there was no try. Just 100% knocking it out of the park with lemon blueberry muffins.

I adapted/doubled this recipe from Cookie and Kate, who followed this one from Smitten Kitchen, which is itself adapted from Cooks Illustrated...meaning just about everyone on the Internet has made a variation of these. The end product was light and sweet and not too guilt-inducing.

Lemon Blueberry Muffins (additions/substitutions in parenthesis mine)

10 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 c sugar (I used 1/2 c white sugar and 1/2 c cane sugar)
2 eggs
1 1/2 c plain yogurt (I used coconut yogurt)
1 tsp grated lemon zest
(I also added the juice from one lemon)
3 c flour (I used regular white flour)
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 c blueberries (I used a whole container of fresh blueberries, but frozen would also work)

  1. Preheat oven to 375.
  2. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
  3. Using an electric mixer, cream butter and sugars.
  4. Add eggs, beating well after each. Add yogurt and zest, beat until smooth.
  5. In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients.
  6. Add dry ingredients slowly to batter, beat on low speed until mixed.
  7. Fold in blueberries.
  8. Fill muffin liners 2/3 full. Batter should be thick, so you can just use a spoon to scoop and fill.
  9. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until tops are golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment