Wednesday, March 5, 2014

When the Dust Settles

Humans are living and breathing piles of dirt. It doesn't matter what you believe about the afterlife: your body is biodegradable. I say this not to bum you out, but to make you feel better. Stop taking yourself so seriously and remember this. That's what Ash Wednesday is for--to remember you are dust, and to dust you shall return.

Knowing that, it's much easier to forgive--others, for wronging you, and yourself, for whatever it is you've done or not done. Forgiveness is my first Lenten observance--one of six that my MercyWorks community hopes to challenge ourselves with this season. I know the whole point of a Lenten challenge is to do it in private, just for the sake of doing it and not for any outside glory, but I'm not blogging about it for attention. Hopefully, by sharing each week's simple living challenge/Lenten observance, I'll have a certain amount of accountability.

Forgiveness is cleansing, and I'm glad we're starting Lent free from grudges and anger that bogs us down. The ashes are cleansing too. For once, dirt makes you feel clean. Today is a new day, a new season, and a chance to prepare for the new life of spring.

I'm going to start by forgiving Mother Nature for being a relentless annoyance. It's a challenge because she's not sorry, and she won't stop. (It's snowing again is what I'm trying to say.) Good luck with your own personal Lenten observances. I'll be back on Sunday for my next seasonal reflection.

No comments:

Post a Comment