Friday, March 14, 2014

Pi(e) Day

I make pizzas pretty much every Friday, but on this Friday I wanted to make a different kind of pie to celebrate Pi Day. For those of you who forgot what pi is, or never cared to begin with, it's a magical number that helps people measure circles (or circle shaped objects, like pie). It goes on forever, but it's commonly truncated to 3.14. As in 3/14. As in March 14th.

While I wanted to bake a dessert pie, I didn't want to go wild and have to make a crust. It's still a Friday--no hard work allowed. Enter Crustless Coconut Pie, also known as Impossible Pie (because it makes its own crust as it bakes). I took and adapted my recipe from fellow blogger Stacie. I pretty much followed her recipe (which follows), except I used olive oil spray. I'm also a bad measure-er, so I think I ended up with more sugar than necessary. Oh well.

My batter ended up filling my pie tin right to the lip, so I put a baking sheet underneath it in the oven in case of spillage. I didn't have to worry--the pie baked firm and held itself in the tin. In about an hour (our oven is s-l-o-w), I had my pie and ate it too.




nonstick spray
2 c milk (I used Silk coconut milk)
¾ c sugar
½ c flour
4 eggs
¼ c butter, melted
1 ½ tsp vanilla
1 ⅓ c sweetened coconut


Preheat oven to 350.
Spray glass pie dish with oil spray. (I used a metal dish, because that's what we have.)
Put all ingredients except coconut in a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until smooth.
Add coconut and mix thoroughly.
Bake 40 minutes, or until center of pie is set and top is golden brown.
Let cool, uncovered.
Serve at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment