Friday, February 7, 2014

Saltiest Day 2.0

It's the Second Annual Saltiest Day--did you remember to mark your calendars? A year ago, I "celebrated" by doing dishes and eating whatever I found in the fridge. This year, Saltiest Day takes on a new meaning--with all the snow and ice, everything is actually salty. The roads (when not snow-covered) are white with salt and my boots have a nice crusty layer of salt around the bottoms. Besides the literal salt, my mood is, as per usual in February, on the salty side as well--I suspect I'm not alone here.

I have a vision for Saltiest Day--we may only be two years in, but I think the holiday people should hop on this train. Why not Saltiest Day cards? They would have to be plenty sarcastic: "Happy Saltiest Day! I love it when you throw your socks on the floor." Flowers for your Saltiest would look more like funky cheese. We could eat Ramen, Chinese delivery, asparagus, tuna, and broccoli. Got beef with someone? Let them know on Saltiest Day.

Until that takes off, though, I'm going to battle these salty Saltiest Day feelings. It's Friday, so already we're doing better than last year. As for me, I'm making my signature Friday Night Pizza (perhaps pizzas?), watching the Winter Games Opening Ceremony, and snuggling my boyfriend, who also (conveniently right now, annoyingly in the summer) doubles as a space heater.

---



---

14 comments:

  1. That's a real thing? Damn. We don't have anything salty here. Not even frozen pizza. And now I'm hungry for pizza...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's real in our apartment. We wanted something to offset "Sweetest Day" in October, and figured the dead of winter + one week before Valentine's Day would make a good time to get out our "salty" feelings.

      Delete
  2. Here we couldn't celebrate saltiest day properly. Sadly, my town and several other towns in this part of NJ have run out of salt because it had been hoarded for the super bowl. Football sucks, and so do our roads right now. Hopefully we can make up for it next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that does suck. You have plenty to be salty about, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. Here in egypt, salty veggie pickles are served with falafel on the streets because nobody has a salt shaker. How about some salty baby onion pickles and salty black olives for your pizza? Toss on some salty feta cheese, and I could really celebrate that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, that all sounds so good. And perfectly salty.

      Delete
  4. Salty French fries are my favorite--or potato chips.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now my stomach is growling. I should probably eat breakfast before I indulge in salty junk food, but French fries sound amazing right now.

      Delete
  5. I hate the winter salt - on the roads, our car, our dogs paws, and our shoes. I don't like to cook with salt, either. I prefer my french fries and potato chips without salt. I rub the salt off of pretzels. But...a salty mood. You can ask my husband. He will confirm that until spring arrives, I am terribly salty - in the worst way. (I really want fries with gravy right now - thanks to Marcy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fries with gravy...that would ease my salty mood too!

      Delete
  6. We're Indian and we love our pickles, all salty and spicy! Wonder if that's related to the growing cholesterol count in the country ; )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be, but pickles are so good! Everyone is making me hungry!

      Delete
  7. Too funny! I love the Saltiest Day idea! And I celebrated it without even knowing it. First, by eating a sodium-ladened meal. Then, by writing a snarky post about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! It's catching on. I read your post--I would have eaten that sandwich with no shame, especially on Friday night.

      Delete