Thursday, February 27, 2014

Coldplay: A Love Story

Coldplay was my first favorite band. Okay, okay, there was a brief Hanson stint in the fourth grade, but Coldplay was the band I followed religiously--I had their website bookmarked on my parents' computer, I looked up fun facts about the band members, I listened to their albums (on CD) straight through repeatedly. I bought the piano sheet music to several of their albums, learned the songs, and then memorized the songs in case Chris Martin suddenly needed a back-up player. They had me at Parachutes, and it's been a love affair ever since.

This week, Coldplay released a surprise single via twitter, and the affair continues. The first years were a flash--after Parachutes came A Rush of Blood to the Head and X&Y, both during high school. They joined me many nights while I did homework or wrote in my journal. The Twisted Logic Tour was a last hurrah family vacation before my senior year. Viva la Vida rushed in while I was in college, and I clung to its pop/dance vibes. Then things quieted down between us. It took me some time to warm up to Mylo Xyloto--I fell in and out with several other bands during this time. I graduated. I moved. I got an iPod and finally updated my music.

When "Atlas" came out last year as a part of the Catching Fire soundtrack, I knew we were back in full swing--I just listened to it again, and it still got me. "Sometimes the wire must tense for the note" is a brilliant and lovely lyric. "Midnight," while less catchy, is still a welcome tune, reminiscent of Imogen Heap. I eagerly await album number six. Until then, it's full album listening sessions and more piano practice (just in case).

No comments:

Post a Comment