Friday, February 14, 2014

Love Models

I'm in uncharted territory. I'm celebrating Valentine's Day with the same Valentine I had last year AND the year before. In years one and two, we tried new restaurants. There were flowers. We dressed up. Jesus shaved and I washed my hair--if nothing else, Valentine's Day has encouraged us to keep up our personal hygiene. We finished our nights with binge chocolate-eating (mostly me) and decidedly non-romantic movies (Fight Club and Mama). We congratulated ourselves on being in like and in love.

And for year three? I don't know what the plan is. Jesus and I got as far as "We should eat dinner..." before we ran out of ideas. I have a little something planned, gift-wise. I'm wearing a heart shirt and two pairs of heart socks (out of necessity for their warmth, not because I'm that into Valentine's Day). I bought a bag of red and white M&M's that I had for dessert last night and pre-breakfast this morning. The festivity is out of control.

What I'm really reflecting on this year isn't the flowers or the chocolate or making lovey dovey eyes over the dinner table. I'm thinking about how I learned what love is, and who taught me: my parents. Already this morning, my dad was the first to text me with Valentine's Day greetings. They are spending the day with my brother--not off on a date by themselves. In the past they've spent their anniversary with me. Spring Break? They're hanging out with my sister. Especially now, with all of us kids out of the house, my parents like to celebrate their love by being with their kids.

I don't know what kind of relationship I'd be in if I didn't have my parents as role models, but it certainly wouldn't be the same. My parents' relationship taught me about gender equality, selflessness, communication, and truly enjoying someone else's company. Because of them, I rarely pined for a boyfriend growing up. As lame as this sounds (and there were times I did pine--I was still a teenager), I had Mom and Dad as Valentines. Besides, I wanted what they had, not something slapped together out of desperation for connection.

Now that I have something real (after a few missteps and wrong turns, of course), I'm even more grateful I have their relationship to reference. And not only theirs--both sets of my grandparents celebrate 60 years of marriage this year. Wow! I'm grateful to have so many caring men and strong women to look up to.

Because I know they'll be the first to read this--Happy Valentine's Day, Mom and Dad! I love you both.

Happy Valentine's Day to you, too, Jesus...I know you'll read this after I remind you I posted. :) And can we watch this tonight?

---



---

12 comments:

  1. Okay, this sounds like a great Valentine's Day to me. And you're so lucky to have had such an example of love before you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure feel lucky/loved! And we ended up watching Insidious 2, so it was a pretty good holiday. Nothing says love like scary movies.

      Delete
  2. Anything except for a crowded restaurant that includes being rushed just a bit at the end of an overpriced meal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a wonderful example for all of us! Both sets of grandparents celebrating 60 years of marriage this year! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents are my standard of love too. They set the bar quite high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sweet post! I totally agree: having "relationship role models" is so key. Growing up I didn't get what an asset that was, but now, as an adult, I'm so thankful for my parents' marriage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Parents are great--it's sad that we oftentimes don't recognize how important they are until we are grown!

      Delete