Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Lowland

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sum it up in a sentence (or two): The Lowland follows the lives of two brothers born in India; one stays, the other moves to America. The story is interwoven with the viewpoints of all the people closest to the brothers as we learn of the effects of political unrest in India in contrast to being an immigrant in the States.

First thoughts: I loved it! I read The Lowland at home over break, so I don't have many notes on it. I enjoyed the reading experience from start to finish. At points I would find myself smiling or sighing while reading, or I'd stop to say "Oh, no!" out loud.

Final thoughts: I want more from Jhumpa Lahiri, as always. This story of the joys and heartbreaks experienced by a man, a family, and a country is sweeping, tender, and poignant.


No comments:

Post a Comment