Friday, June 20, 2014

Super Secret Tarts (and a brownie update)

Want to know my secret recipe for awesome summer tarts? Here it is:

1 box of pre-made pie dough (comes in a pack with enough for two crusts)
fruit
sugar

Preheat oven to 350.
Roll out the dough once it's thawed, and, using the top of a cup, cut smaller-size circles out.
Use smaller circles of dough to line each cup in a muffin tin.
In a bowl, combine berries (any/all...this weekend I used blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries).
Sprinkle sugar to taste over berries and stir/toss to combine.
Fill each little crust with enough berries so it's nearly brimming.
Bake until fruit juices start bubbling and edges of crust begin to brown, about 45 minutes. (I think? I just put them in and checked on them every 10 minutes or so.)



That's all! I'm sure there are very fancy tart recipes, but I've found that all I really want in a tart is baked berries and flaky crust. There's much to be said for home-making your own pie crusts at least once, to understand the labor of love that it is, but pre-made crusts are one of the food industry's greatest inventions. This recipe also translates well to pot pies, quiches, and anything that you want baked into a crust: buy the rolled dough from the store, fill it with fruits, veggies, cheese, eggs, and/or meat, and pop it in the oven. Sometimes the best recipes are the simplest.

Black Bean Brownie Update

Remember when I made some pretty great brownies with no flour or butter? I tried them again today, this time making a caramel variation. I followed the recipe, but once I had the batter in the pan, I dropped two heaping tablespoons of dulce de leche in opposite corners. Taking a knife, I swirled the dulce around until it was evenly distributed. Then I sprinkled some chocolate chips on top for good measure. Baked for 15 minutes at 350 and helllloooooo Friday night. I don't think I'll go back to non-dulce brownies for a long time.

Happy Friday, happy cooking, and happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment