Friday, June 27, 2014

My Farmers Market is Better than Yours

Chicago Reader recently named the Logan Square Farmers Market "Best" of 2014. They also won in 2012 and 2013. I really have nothing to brag about, since I'm not a vendor or organizer of this event, butttttttt...I am a Logan Square resident, so brag I will.

 This market is varied without being overwhelming. It's not 500 stands all selling produce--they've got meat, cheese, eggs, ice cream, dog treats, spices, alcohol, and food prepared on-site. The atmosphere is congenial, the vendors are engaging, and while I don't always buy something, there's always something I want to get. (Usually it's grilled cheeses by the handful or ice cream by the pint.)

Brings me back to high school band days...oh how I miss baking playing on hot days...
The entertainment isn't bad either. Last week a guy played his fiddle at one end of the market while a high school band had a jazz session in the middle. The other side featured gorgeous cut flowers and valet bike parking. (You know you're in Logan Square when...) All in all, this is a great place to chill on a Sunday morning/afternoon. With an iced coffee in hand, you could do worse than idling over a beautiful array of mushrooms and snap peas, dreaming of the meals you could make with these fresh ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment