Saturday, February 25, 2017

A Mercy

My rating: 3 of 5 stars

A Mercy tells the story of Florens, a slave girl given as payment to a Northern trader, Jacob. Readers hear Florens tell her own story with input from other voices in her new life so we get different perspectives on the events that transpire on Jacob's farm.

First thoughts: While a relatively quick read, it took me a few different points of view to get into the story. I'm glad the narrators changed throughout the story because that helped me check that I understood what was happening. Morrison conjures a multitude of emotions with sparse language, using perfect phrases and nothing extra.

Favorite quote: "What I know is there is magic in learning." p163

Recommended for: Anyone not sure what to read next, needing something brief yet powerful.

Final thoughts: While I kept hoping for just a bit more character description, there was no shortage of poetic imagery. There is a tension between emotion and plot that Morrison navigates expertly. She is one of the greats for a reason.


No comments:

Post a Comment