Saturday, January 28, 2017

The Lovely Bones

The Lovely BonesThe Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

I'm ten years late to the party, but I finally read The Lovely Bones. Even though I'm behind on this one, I did know the basic premise & wasn't surprised by the beyond-the-grave narration. It was still a different take on a murder mystery - knowing the killer from the get go, but now if or how he's apprehended.

First thoughts: This book goes 0-100 real quick.

Sex thoughts (spoilers): Okay, I was doing real well on suspending disbelief the whole way through, for the sake of a unique style. But the body switch sex scene? Yeah, that felt way out of place. A stretch - if that had been the original premise of the book, maybe...but that's not something you throw in last minute like that. And I couldn't help but feel awful for Ruth in that scenario.

Recommended for: I think almost everyone has already read this book.

Final thoughts: All-in-all, a sad/sweet book. Some strange scenes.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment