Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Batman v Superman & Suicide Squad

My take on the latest DC installments: entertaining, yet not without flaws. Neither films were loved by critics, but as a person who doesn't read comics or follow comic book storylines, I enjoyed both.

I found Batman v Superman a little long and, like Man of Steel, slow until it picked up at the end. While BvS was overall a better/more enjoyable experience than MoS, once again I could have done without the first 45-60 minutes. Gal Gadot as Diana Prince/Wonder Woman was the highlight for me (and I'm looking forward to her standalone, coming out in 2017). The action at the end almost makes up for its slow start, and at the very least left me interested to see what happens next...

Which brings us to Suicide Squad, this summer's followup to BvS. It was quicker-paced and somehow more lighthearted while also being quite dark. I liked the break from typical superhero storytelling and the exploration of the less-than-heroic characters that make up Task Force X. Will Smith and Margot Robbie are fun to watch and other supporting roles kept things from getting either too campy or too depressing.



No comments:

Post a Comment