Saturday, September 19, 2015

Spin

Spin (Spin, #1)Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Sum it up in a sentence (or two): Spin narrates the aftermath of the "Big Blackout" - the night the stars disappeared - following the lives of three friends, Tyler Dupree and siblings Jason and Diane Lawton.

First Thoughts: Spin gripped me right away, then loosened its hold just over halfway thought, but it grabbed me again at the end. I liked being sucked into a book and its world, and having it be a treat instead of a chore. This was also a rare treat in that I don't read many sci-fi thrillers (but I always seem to enjoy them on some level).

Favorite quotes:

"Everybody falls, and we all land somewhere." -p1

"The world is full of surprises. We're all born strangers to ourselves and each other, and we're seldom formally introduced." -Carol Lawton, p438

Favorite characters: the great mother team of Carol Lawton and Belinda Dupree - I love them separately and together. Jason Lawton was an interestingly flawed character, and I think anyone who reads Spin would love Ina Ibu.

Where it lost me: the discussion of the replicators. By that time I just wanted to see the two timelines of the book meet, so that middle part with the technical language stretched a little long.

Final Thoughts: Once the action picked back up, I was right back into the story. The ending was solid and worth sticking it out.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment