Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Epic Wednesday

I wrote this sort of over the course of the day. Thanks, auto-save feature!

My criminology professor finally knows my name, which means I must have said something good during class. After I had answered several questions one day, my friend asked if I was participating just so the professor would remember me. Maybe a little.

I'm a sucker for donating blood, despite my troubles in the past. Today, though, I passed all the tests and my blood filled that bag in record time. (I like to race the other donators.)

Most of the guys in my Film and Lit course aren't fans of the book we are currently reading. Aurora Leigh, by Elizabeth Barrett Browning, is an epic poem from the woman's point of view. It's feminist without being angry feminist--because there was no such thing then. I like its commentary on love versus work versus art--are they all the same thing, or are they separate entities?

I also like these lines:
Aurora Leigh (Oxford World's Classics)
"If a flower
Were thrown you out of heaven at intervals,
You'd soon attain to a trick of looking up,--"

Because I am spending a ridiculous amount of time in the Writing Center tonight (meeting, plus covering a coworker's shift), I thought I would have a lot of time to catch up on my reading and blog. In reality, the ridiculous amount of papers due tomorrow is hindering that. I love my job, but I also love down time at my job.

The reason I was looking forward to increased reading time is because Aurora Leigh, while awesome, is also time-consuming. It's long and intense so I can't just pop in an out of it like I might a contemporary book. I need chunks of time to sink into the book. Chunks of time and a plate full of comfort food.

Which I found waiting for me on the stove when I got home at 10. Andrea baked chicken with cherry tomatoes and lemon juice. Greg is going to be spoiled, but it's my turn first.

No comments:

Post a Comment