Saturday, October 4, 2014

Speaker for the Dead

Speaker for the Dead (The Ender Quintet, #2)Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

First thoughts: Wow. I wish this could be a movie (Orson Scott Card has explicitly stated it won't/can't be). The dialogue/philosophy are great and there are some spot on one-liners. True, not a lot of action (way less than Ender's Game for sure), but plenty of drama/thinking/gorgeous and exotic scenes. Some parts remind me of The Sparrow, one of my all-time favorites. All-in-all, a thought-provoking look at how we approach foreign/strange/other cultures.

Where I read: in bed, on a plane, on the couch, wherever I could.

Favorite character(s): Ender, because of his wisdom. I also appreciated the many active and engaged women in the story.

Recommended for: sci-fi buffs, philosophers, people with prejudices, thinkers, humanitarians, politicians, and those who've read other books in the Ender Series.

Favorite quote(s):

"Humankind almost never forgives true greatness." -Dom Cristao

"The tribe is whatever we believe it is." -Human

"As long as you keep getting born, it's alright to die sometimes." -Ender


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment