Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Falafel with Cucumber Dip

One of the first kitchen tools I purchased after moving in with Jesus was a food processor. After years of getting by with a (cheap) blender, I wanted to be able to make dips and sauces like a boss. So far, I've made plenty of hummus, but the wonderful chickpea lends itself to so much more. Like falafel!

I followed this recipe, substitutions below. While a food processor isn't listed in the directions, I made it work. It made enough for dinner, plus leftovers for my lunch the next day - these reheat very well!

Falafel

1 (15 oz) can chickpeas/garbanzo beans, drained
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 egg
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
dash of pepper
[I didn't have parsley, cayenne, or coriander, so I left them out, but I did add about 1 tsp paprika.]
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp olive oil
1 c dry bread crumbs
oil for frying

  1. In a food processor, combine chickpeas, onion, and garlic. Process gently - consistency should still be fairly thick. Pour into medium bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk together egg, lemon juice, olive oil, baking powder, and spices. Add to chickpea mixture and combine.
  3. Slowly add bread crumbs to the mixture. It should hold together without being too sticky (ie, you should be able to form patties with it). If needed, add more bread crumbs.
  4. Form into balls and flatten into patties roughly the size of a sand dollar.
  5. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat. Fry patties until brown on both sides.
These are best when topped with the Cucumber Dip:

6 oz plain yogurt (I used Greek)
1/2 cucumber, peeled, seeded, and diced
salt & pepper to taste
splash of lemon juice
[I didn't have dill, so omitted it, but I know it would've been tasty. I also omitted the mayo because the yogurt is creamy enough. I added some lemon!]
  1. Mix together all ingredients. Chill. Use generously with falafel; also tastes great with pita chips, tortilla chips, and raw veggies!


No comments:

Post a Comment