Sunday, March 4, 2012

Sweet Home, Chicago

Chicago celebrates its 175th birthday today. Incorporated in the 1800s as a city with a population of 4,170, Chicago is now home to about 2.7 million people, including yours truly. I know I'm a transplant, but as a licensed Illinois driver and registered voter in Ward 1, public record has me as a Chicagoan.

According to the recent ad campaign by Chicago Public Library, several other things I have to do to be a "true" Chicagoan are:
  1. Sox or Cubs, choose one.
  2. Partake in deep dish pizza.
  3. Top my hot dogs with mustard, onions, relish, a dill pickle, and a tomato. No ketchup allowed.
  4. Have a CPL card.
I can check all these off: I've never been good at following baseball, but after attending both a Sox and a Cubs game, I went Sox. Not only do I enjoy deep dish pizza, I can tell you that while Lou Malnati's makes a superb pie, Giordano's has an edge when we are talking cold pizza. Vegetarian tendencies aside, I know ketchup is not for hot dogs. I've been a card-carrying member of the library for over a year now and have already claimed three different branches as "home" libraries.

The clearest "true Chicagoan" sign of all: I've been reminding myself a lot lately that a Chicago summer makes this winter/pseudo-spring worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment