Thursday, March 10, 2011

1. Make a List

Stephanie had an interesting idea for one way to participate in Lent. She writes a list of 40 things she wants to do during the season, then picks one each day. It appeals to me for several reasons: I love lists, I love doing one thing every day, I get to write the list and choose the order in which I do the things... Plus, it's Lent-y: simple, makes you slow down and (hopefully) think about why you do what you do.

Unfortunately, I love crossing things off lists more than I like making them, so I've literally done 15 of the things I began writing last night. Some of them (most of them) are repeatable, like Wake Up Smiling or Go For A Walk (NOTE: I didn't cross off that first one this morning...there's still time), so I can always keep those on my list.

Katie and Liz also gave us a 40-day reflection with short writings by spiritual/social justice-minded people. Today's, from Joyce Rupp, is to Focus on One Thing Only. This is best accomplished through some sort of meditation, or cultivating a conscious state of focus. Which means I'm off to light a candle and stare at it.


1 comment: