Thursday, March 18, 2010

the daily grind, for real

I wasn't sure if I was going to make it through the day today, but it's almost 4:30 and I'm going strong. When my phone went off at 10 til 6 I was sure it was playing a joke on me. There was no way it was time to get up already. Then I smelt the coffee I had preset to brew right as I woke up and I gave in. After a hearty breakfast of Girl Scout cookies and Kix and with my mug filled with four cups of the best part of waking up, I was set to go to work.

Thanks to Daylight Savings Time, it's still a little dark when I head down to the retirement community and I'm reminded by my residents (still) of how changing one hour throws off the whole week. Once I got into the flow of the morning and successfully brought my hall to breakfast, I was feeling a lot better about being awake so early.

I find that the rest of the day goes by pretty quickly, what with manicures and meds to keep me busy. Even when I haven't been to work in a while it's fairly easy to jump back into the routine of working the floor.  Everyone loves the sunny weather we've been having lately and things go much smoother when we're all in cheery moods.

When my shift was over, I got to walk the several blocks home in the cool breeze and now I have dinner, grocery shopping and my Thursday night comedy to look forward to!

No comments:

Post a Comment