Saturday, December 1, 2018

A-Z Bookish Survey 2018

I want to start December with something a bit different: a bookish survey! I've done this particular one before (in 2014), and while I'm in the midst of finishing my graduate portfolio and transitioning into my new job, I wanted to check in with my reading self again.

Author(s) you've read the most: Any author of a series has an edge here, so I'll note those with a (*)

Dave Eggers
Neil Gaiman
Jhumpa Lahiri
Marissa Meyer* (Luna Chronicles)
Donna Jo Napoli
Jenny Nimmo* (Charlie Bone Series)
Jason Reynolds
Kwame Alexander
Ransom Riggs* (Peculiar Children Series)
JK Rowling** (Harry Potter + Cormoran Strike Series)
Jon Scieszka* (Time Warp Trio Series + others)
David Sedaris
Maggie Stiefvater* (Raven Cycle + bonus material)
Wendelin Van Draanen* (Sammy Keyes Series)
Scott Westerfeld* (Uglies Series + related Impostors Series)
Meg Wolitzer

Best sequel ever: Okay, usually I find the second book in a series is my least favorite (ie ScarletHollow CityHP and the Chamber of SecretsThe Silkworm...), but The Dream Thieves (from Stiefvater's Raven Cycle) was a solid read. I am also excited to read Muse of Nightmares, the follow up to Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor and A Closed and Common Orbit, the sequel to The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers.
Currently reading:
Scythe - Neal Shusterman
Once Upon a Dream - Liz Braswell
The House With Chicken Legs - Sophie Anderson
Picture Us in the Light - Kelly Loy Gilbert
Drink of choice while reading: Water, wine, coffee, tea.
E-reader or physical book?: Physical book because I still don't have an e-reader, and haven't had the urge to get one. I'm also a big audiobook listener!
Fictional character you would have dated in college: Because I just finished the series (Raven Cycle), I would have crushed on Ronan Lynch, befriended Adam Parrish, and hated Gansey's perfect face.
Glad you gave this book a chance: Most of the recent children's fiction I've read falls into this category - I've been pleasantly surprised at the depth these books have, coupled with characters to root for and lush settings to get lost in.
Hidden gem book: The Wolf Hour by Sara Lewis Holmes - a Little Red Riding Hood/Three Little Pigs retelling I never knew I wanted.
Important moment in your reading life: Whenever I made the decision to stop reading books and be okay with it (and, following that, when I let go of any and all reading rules I held).
Just finished: The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater and The House With Chicken Legs by Sophie Anderson.
Kinds of books you won’t read: Books with problematic messages and/or authors. (I still have work to do with this one, because I've been guilty of separating the book from the author and/or not being aware of racist, sexist, homophobic, or other problematic beliefs authors hold.)
Longest book you’ve read: Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace will forever be the longest book I've attempted to read. My longest ever cover-to-cover read is A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin at 848 pages.
Most major book hangover: The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo...that book ruined me (in a good way).
Number of bookcases you own: Eight?
One book you have read multiple times: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Preferred place to read: in bed on a weekend morning!
Quote that you like, from a book you’ve read: "If you can't be unafraid, be afraid and happy." (The Raven King, Maggie Stiefvater)
Reading regret: the entirety of the self-help genre.
Series you started and need to finish: the Wayfarers Series by Becky Chambers
Three of your all-time favorite books: Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli, The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo, and My Love, My Love: or The Peasant Girl by Rosa Guy
Unapologetic fangirl for: fairy tale retellings (& more specifically mermaid stories).
Very excited for this release more than all the others: Muse of Nightmares by Laini Taylor (It came out in October, but I'm psyched!)
Worst bookish habit: Setting open books pages-down on random surfaces.
X marks the spot (start at the top of your shelf and pick the 24th book): Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin
Your latest book purchase: Sirena by Donna Jo Napoli and Atlantia by Allie Condie (both mermaid books).
Zzz snatcher book (last book that kept you up WAY too late): It's gotta be The Raven King. And Blue Lily, Lily Blue before that.

No comments:

Post a Comment