Saturday, July 28, 2018

The Marrow Thieves

The Marrow ThievesThe Marrow Thieves by Cherie Dimaline
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I've thought about this book a lot since reading it a few months ago. It's a YA dystopic sci fi novel, but with cultural depth and historical significance. It's beautifully written, with characters I cared about, and the futuristic story line stays close enough to our current reality that I had no troubles suspending any disbelief.

I was especially pulled in by Dimaline's descriptions of Indigenous culture - its familial structures, rituals, and history - paired with protagonists' social and political commentary in their dialogue and actions. Many parallels can be drawn between the history of North America, the (continued) atrocities committed by colonizers and white supremacists, and the bleak and dreamless future of the book.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment