Saturday, September 17, 2016

Cat's Eye

Cat's EyeCat's Eye by Margaret Atwood
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Female relationships are hard. Margaret Atwood explores these dynamics with the story of Elaine Risley, painter, friend, and woman.

First thoughts: I can think of the Elaines in my life. And the Cordelias, Graces, and Carols. Atwood brings complex relationships to life in a way only someone who's been there can.

Favorite quotes:

"There is never only one, of anyone." -p6

"...everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise." -p15

"I see that there will be no end to imperfection, or to doing things the wrong way." -p154

"I know too much to be good. I know myself." -p170

"I could live without this. I have before. But I like it all the same." -p417

Recommended for: women, girls who will become women, anyone who has friends who are women.

Final thoughts: I love the language and imagery. This was a haunting tale, one that sticks with you after you finish reading.


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment