Friday, June 17, 2016

Friday Night Links 31

Chicago students still have 2 days left of school, but it's summer reading list season on the internet:

Dinner: A Love Story - 14 Summer Reads
Gimme Some Oven - Summer Reading List
Perpetual Page-Turner - 10 YA Books That Should Be In Your Beach Bag This Summer
Upcycled Education - Summer Book Recommendations
Paper/Plates - Essential Summer Reading
Book Riot - How to Create Your Own Summer Syllabus

And who am I to resist the movement? (Though it should be noted, my reading lists are year-round.) Here's what I'm excited to read in the next 2 months:

Bed, David Whitehouse - Currently reading this story of a man who refuses to leave his bed. It's...different.

Beautiful Ruins, Jess Walter- One of my plane/beach reads for my upcoming trip to Puerto Rico! I'm excited to "travel" to Italy while reading.

Olive Kitteridge, Elizabeth Strout - The backup plane/beach read for vacation (I always bring a back up). I'm hoping it'll be different from what I'm expecting from the cover.

Midnight's Children, Salman Rushdie - What better way to return from vacation than with something literary, a cross between "a fairy tale, a furious political satire, and a meditation..." (from the front flap). We'll see how I do with a deep read in deep summer.

Shine Shine Shine, Lydia Netzer - If I can't hang with Rushdie, I've got Netzer on deck with an adventurous love story that'll take me to the moon and back.

Franny and Zooey, J.D. Salinger - Highly rated by almost everyone I know who's read it + On so many "Best of" lists = A book I'm bound to check out sooner rather than later, even though 15 years after publication isn't exactly sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment