Saturday, December 8, 2012

Zoolights

What do you get when you cross a bank, an electric company, and nearly 1,250 animals?

A free Friday night activity!

Zoolights is essentially the Lincoln Park Zoo at night, bedazzled with strand upon strand of Christmas lights. This is may be only my second time going (a pity considering it's free 365 days a year), but I definitely made it count. Not only did I get to see all the holiday light displays, some set to music, I also got to see most of the zoo animals (provided, some were fast asleep). Another perk: I got to borrow a friend's membership card, which meant free parking and complimentary cookies, tea, hot chocolate, and apple cider.

I saw a pygmy hippo open it's mouth wide and make several children scream, two wide awake giraffes who seemed to spend most of the night licking the wall of their habitat with their foot-long tongues, and monkeys fast asleep in poses uncannily human-like.

There was an ice sculptor carving big blocks of ice with a chainsaw, Santa took up residence in the big cats exhibit, and plenty of Christmas music, which got Jesus & I into the festive spirit so much so that we came home and watched the entirety of the BBC version of Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker Ballet. (His idea, not mine, fyi!)


No comments:

Post a Comment