Sunday, April 18, 2010

Earth Week: Less is More

Today marks the start of Earth Week, the extended version of Earth Day (which falls on Thursday). Because I have no legitimate reason not to (and okay, I'm actually an environmentally-conscious person), I've decided to join others across the nation (globe? Is Earth Week celebrated worldwide?) for a No Impact Earth Week, ala Colin Beavan/No Impact Man.

Each day will feature a new step towards No Impact, building on from the day before. Today, Day One, focuses on consumption. My goal: Live a fuller and happier life by buying less stuff. Done. Didn't buy anything new today. The challenge will be extending that for the rest of the week, but I'm not a regular buyer of things, so I'm not too worried.

If I were to need something, my alternate choices are to borrow, buy secondhand, make whatever it is I need myself, and in absolute need to buy cases, buy something green (meaning it's made from recycled materials or using renewable energy, etc).

I did recently sew a tote bag using some hand-me-down shirts (thanks, brother!), so I'm feeling pretty well-equipped for the challenge of not buying things.

No comments:

Post a Comment