Saturday, June 16, 2018

Pride Reads 2018

There are a number of new LGBTQIA books coming out this year, and the best part about them is the diversity within the books! There's racial and relationship diversity, with all kinds of loves and people represented. I'm excited to get to those books in my (never-ending) to-read list! Until then, here are a handful of the LGBTQIA books I've read in the past 6-ish months:

Annie on My Mind
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

While there are (thankfully) now more (and more current) young adult novels with lesbian relationships, Annie on My Mind is still a worthy read. It's a sweet story, though not without conflict, but our protagonists are treated well (no fiery disasters or car crashes or "it was a mistake" narratives here) and they have a model relationship to learn from. In its context, Annie on My Mind is original and progressive, the story of two women learning to love each other despite what their world thinks of their love.

My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This hilarious romp through Europe was made even more enjoyable by the will-they-won't-they of best friends Percy and Monty. Their dialogue is sharp and quippy, the action kept everyone on their toes, and it was fun to dive into a completely different time and place for a bit. This read like a wittier Pirates of the Caribbean and I'm very excited for the sequel!


My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Caroline's life has never been easy - born in a hurricane, abandoned by her mother, and outcast at school, she's used to having to take care of herself on her own. With the arrival of new girl Kalinda, Caroline seems to have a friend who will help her find her mother. Caroline also develops romantic feelings for Kalinda, exploring her identity as a queer person and dealing with homophobia both external and internal. This middle grade novel is full of heart, as Caroline realizes her own strengths and comes into her own as a young woman. 

Girl Made of StarsGirl Made of Stars by Ashley Herring Blake
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Owen and Mara are twins, with an unbreakable bond. It was Owen who unquestioningly accepted Mara’s coming out as bisexual to their family, and Owen who consoled Mara after she broke up with her best friend and first girlfriend, Charlie. Then Owen’s girlfriend, Hannah, accuses him of raping her and lines are drawn. Mara is torn between believing her friend or her brother, while also missing Charlie. With focus on consent, victim shaming, and the insidiousness of rape culture, Girl Made of Stars has emotional and timely relevance.


My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is possibly my favorite graphic novel of 2018. It's Velvet meets Julian the Mermaid meets Cinderella, but also so different from all of these and anything else I've read before. I was sold from page one with its charm, unassuming illustrations, and two of the most genuine protagonists. Let's deconstruct those gender norms, people!

No comments:

Post a Comment